Monday, January 24, 2011

Blogging 101 - Day 1..

Hello all...

So I'm going to go ahead and assume anyone reading this post knows me, because how else would you have ended up here?-- Well after this last weekend, I had a- well several moments of clarity regarding how I view myself and what my goals are for this year.  As many of you know this last 2 months has really thrown me for a loop.  When I discovered I had Celiac, the initial feeling what relief for finally having a name and a solidified reason for why everything was happening to me.  Why I couldn't lose weight, while my clients were showing up to shows shredded.  Why I couldn't get enough sleep, even though I was getting 8 hours a night and only working 30. Why no matter how or what I did, I was in severe, debilitating pain every day for 2.5 years. But the more I read, and the more I realized how restricted and scrutinizing my life had to become, the more overwhelmed and panicked I became.  Instead of rejoicing for having a diagnosis, I began stressing and worrying more than ever. I asked myself a series of questions that sent me spiraling into a bad place:

"How am I supposed to live without bi-weekly Domino's?" 
"We just discovered that new Chinese place across the street and I can't have ANY of it?"
"What do you mean I can't have ketchup - there's no wheat in ketchup. This is just stupid."
"I can't use my mascara, eye cream, lotion, hair products.. okay - I am officially overwhelmed!"

As I admitted to another friend this weekend - even when I discovered that I had it, I didn't fully comprehend just how vigilant I had to be. And being that I was in the midst of the holiday season, and the first weeks of a contest diet, taking it easy on my cheat meals was far from my mind... Admittedly I slipped up the first 6 weeks, and my cheat meals were not gluten-free, just less gluten-y.

Because of this, my progress in the first 6 weeks of my prep suffered noticeably.  While going gluten free outside of my cheat meals allowed me to lean out, and lessen my symptoms enough to see results, it caught up with me by mid-January.  My weight remained stagnant,my energy levels remained even worse than they should be, and as a result of what would become my last 'gluten transgression' during a cheat meal, my wieght suddenly jumped up 3lbs. (Something that is not unheard of for Celiacs. Some people gain up to 20lbs if they fail to monitor their foods closely enough for a couple days).

So long story short to this introduction - as of 1/23/2011 I have turned over a new leaf, and have vowed to become super vigilant with my health.  I chose to compete naturally and train the way I train my clients for a reason - because I care not just about looks, but overall quality of life. And so long as I continue to slip up the way I have, I am not only continuing a lower quality of life than I deserve, but also going against what I teach to my clients and athletes.  And an occasional bite of pizza, and some baked goods are NOT worth the pain, fatigue, and stunted fat loss I have endured..

Thanks to all my friends and clients for the continued support.  It has meant more to me than you know that I have so many people that believe in me and are behind me the way you are.  The purpose of this blog will be to keep myself accountable to... myself, as well as those who support me that I will bring my best to stage. As well as to tell the story of how I'm getting there dispite my unique lifestyle.. That said, be forwarned- I am long winded, I overuse puncutation, and I tend to ramble. So thanks ahead of time for putting up with my poor writing skills!

"Intensity is Everything"
Katie Wilson

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're diet and training are back on track. You're going to smash some heads in 2011!

    ReplyDelete